If you want your flock of chickens to be as healthy and free-range as possible, then you need to find the chicken coop that best suits your needs. Remember, a well-built and well-designed coop is among the most humane ways to house your chickens.
Aside from this, productivity and profitability should also play a major role when you think about how you want to keep your flock. After all, you need to ensure that they are well-protected not just from the elements, but also from other animals that may harm them.
That said, there are a couple of things you need to look into in order to find the best chicken coops.
So, let’s start with the most basic: why do you even need a chicken coop to begin with? After all, you could just let them roam around your property, right? Well, not exactly. Listed below are just some of the reasons why you need to have a chicken coop.
- Safety from Predators – One of the main considerations that you should never forget when raising chickens is your flock’s safety. Particularly, you need to have an area where predators like cats, foxes, rats, raccoons, and snakes can’t get to them.
- Keeping Chickens in a Safe Area – The last thing you want is for your chickens to wander off into unsafe areas such as roads as well as residential areas. After all, a well-built coop will effectively deter your flock from wandering onto oncoming traffic.
- Protection from the Elements – Extreme climates and weather conditions can be deadly for your flock. For instance, during the rainy season, you need to ensure that they are shielded from the torrential rain, thunderstorms, and strong winds that come with. At the same time, you must also ensure that they are insulated from extreme temperatures – both hot and cold.
- Closely Monitoring your Flock – Having a secure coop will make monitoring and maintaining your flock that much easier. It provides you with the opportunity to properly observe every one of your chickens and monitor any potential health problems as they develop.
At this point, it is worth mentioning that not all chicken coops are made the same. Needless to say, you need to ensure that it fits your needs perfectly. Putting in the effort to tailor it to your aesthetic is also a necessary aspect of the job.
By now, it is clear that you need to take a closer look at the specific features of the different chicken coops. This to ensure that you get the one that is perfect for your flock. Listed below are some of the things you need to consider:
- Size – Flock size plays a major role in how you should choose a chicken coop as it directly affects the size of the coop that you need. So, be sure to remember how many chickens you have in your flock and work from there.
- Paint Color – Chicken coops can come in a wide array of color schemes. Like with any other structure, you need to consider how well the coop’s main color complements the color of its trim.
- Wood Stain Design and Color – If you want your chicken coop to have that distinctive rustic and farmhouse design, then you can never go wrong with wood siding. Of course, to complete the look, you will need to stain the wood to create that cozy feeling you get in the countryside. There are several options available including pinewood. Make sure to explore your choices as you create that warm and natural feel for your coop.
- Shingles – As a rule, you want your coop to be as sturdy as possible. That is why we recommend that you take your time as you explore our comprehensive selection of shingles.
Chicken coops are the perfect addition to your property. Maximize production and ensure your flock’s safety with our wide selection of chicken coops. Be sure to look closely and weigh your options carefully to find the best one for you.